These were inspired by Dorie Greenspan’s Honey-Almond Fig Tart, featured in her James Beard award-winning book, “Baking From My Home To Yours”.
This recipe is gluten and refined-sugar free. And, did I mention that they are absolutely delicious? I love eating these for breakfast and/or as a snack. Slice one in half, add some almond butter, and you’re good to go!
Recipe after the jump
Honey Almond Fig Muffins
½ cup coconut flour
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
6 large eggs
1/3 cup honey
½ cup virgin, unrefined coconut oil
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 cup chopped, dried figs (cut off the stems, if there are any)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl
3. Add in wet ingredients plus, figs and chia sees
4. Spoon batter into lined muffin cups
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 12+ min- keep an eye on them after 10 minutes and take them out once they’re golden
brown on top*
6. Let cool for 15 minutes and enjoy!
*To test for true doneness, take a toothpick and insert it into the center of a few muffins. If it comes out clean, then your muffins are done. If there’s some wet batter clinging to it, pop them back into the oven for a few more minutes until you can get a clean toothpick!
Another baking tip: I like to split the baking time in half and at the half-way point, turn the pan a full 180-degrees, to make sure that each muffin is getting baked evenly. (if you have a convection feature on your oven, this might not be necessary)